You may not realize it, but good nutrition not only benefits your body, it can even benefit your skin! Eating a well-balanced diet full of fruits and veggies can give you more energy, help you maintain your weight, and give you a healthy glow. Many things are not in our control, but what we eat is something we can control and a wonderful way to boost the health of our skin. One of the first tricks to get amazing skin is to make sure to drink plenty of water every day. Then, you want to incorporate plenty of fresh fruits and veggies into your diet. Try to eat a variety of colors every day. For example, a serving of red strawberries at breakfast, some sliced yellow peppers at lunch, and a salad with dark green spinach in it at dinner time give you three different colors in one day! With so much fresh produce available these days, it isn’t hard to do.
There are also certain foods that really pack a punch when it comes to incredible skin. Here are 7 of them to try —
- Kale: Kale is full of vitamins A, C and E – all of which have anti-aging properties and assist in promoting healthy new cell growth. Kale is an excellent source of calcium and magnesium which are both necessary for healthy skin.
- Seaweed: Seaweed can be found at health food stores. You can also look for spirulina which is a great addition to a smoothie. Seaweed is a nutrient-rich algae full of vitamin B and high in minerals like iron. Iron is great for circulation which in turn, can contribute to radiant skin.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are a great choice and easy to keep on hand. They are yummy in salads, a perfect part of any veggie tray, and a super snack when dipped in ranch dressing or hummus. Cucumbers have lots of moisture in them and of course, keeping hydrated is essential for luminous skin.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are packed with biotin and vitamin B. Both are wonderful for not only your skin but also your hair and nails. Pumpkin seeds are also high in zinc, which is an essential mineral in preventing acne. Pumpkin seeds can be added to salads, trail mix, and even granola.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds can be found at health food stores and organic grocers. They can be sprinkled on toast, salad, cooked veggies, mixed in with brown rice—just about anywhere! Chia seeds are full of fatty acids that are a wonderful source of nutrition for skin and scalp.
- Lemons: Lemons are an excellent way to add flavor to so many dishes – fish and chicken, cooked veggies, and even water. The huge amounts of vitamin C in lemons are important for collagen production. Collagen, of course, is what keeps skin supple and firm.
- Cabbage: Believe it or not, cabbage is amazing for youthful skin! Not only is cabbage is high in fiber, it also contains sulforaphane, a compound that can promote anti-aging. You can add cabbage to soups and salads, put it on your burger or sandwich, or have it as a stir fry. It is also the basis for any delicious coleslaw.
So, no matter what your skin challenges are– from acne to aging, a healthy diet is the perfect way to keep your skin in great shape.