Has your child ever come home with a bad stomach ache, only for you to later on find out that he or she was getting picked on at school? The answer is probably yes, as it is with most parents. However, what most of us don’t know is that these two events (getting picked on and stomach ache) are actually directly related to one another.
Our bodies contain serotonin, an anti-depressant. With all of the serotonin in our bodies, 5% of that is in our brains, while the other 95% is in our small intestine. That means, when someone gets picked on, or is extremely stressed, their stomach is directly affected because 95% of that serotonin is actually in the small intestine.
Ever wonder why you are addicted to food? This is why.
Lots of doctors like to prescribe anti-depressants to “solve” the issue at hand. Well guess what? Anti-depressants only help 45% of the time! Clean diets such as the Paleo diet and the Mediterranean diet can work to eliminate depression 75-80% of the time. Those odds are much better than anti-depressants, which is why I stand behind these diets and often prescribe them to my patients.
Here at DreamBody Medical Centers, I like to educate my patients as much as possible, and then I typically suggest the right lifestyle change and diet I believe will help them. More often than not, the Paleo Diet is the right choice. This diet includes lots of whole foods, not just meats, contrary to popular belief. Whether you can’t seem to lose those last few pounds, are having emotional stress that you believe is affecting you physically, or you want to get tested and find out if there is anything you can improve on, come on in to DreamBody Medical Centers to get my expert opinion!
Dr. Paul Budnick