It’s August in the Valley of the Sun and it’s hot! The last thing you want to do is stand in a hot kitchen cooking for yourself and your family. Well, here’s a solution– pull out your slow cooker and whip up some easy, healthy, and delicious summer dishes. Here’s a great recipe from Better Homes And Gardens that will warm your heart but not your house!
Tomatillo Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Remove meat from chickens, discarding skin and bones. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded chicken in a storage container; cover and chill overnight. Prepare Tomatillo-Garlic Sauce. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine shredded chicken and sauce. Cover and heat on high-heat setting about 2 hours or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, fill rolls with chicken mixture and toppings.
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, vegetable oil, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Tomatillo Pulled Chicken Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 65 mg chol.,
- 1017 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet