Fall is in the air and the holiday season is rapidly approaching. Sticking to your diet plan can be harder than ever during this time of year when it is so tempting to curl up on the couch, turn on Netflix and enjoy some comfort food.
If you are constantly battling your taste buds and wanting to stay on track with your diet, this healthy recipe from EatingWell.com will be sure to put you back on track!
This Kale and Gruyere Panini recipe are great for lunch or dinner and pairs perfectly with a side dish of fresh veggies! This warm delight will give you the comfort food fix that you need, while still providing you with healthy ingredients.
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices country bread (1/4 inch thick), preferably whole-wheat
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or Fontina cheese
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
How to Make it
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown (about 5 to 7 minutes). Add vinegar and cook until it is almost evaporated (about 1 minute).
- Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (about 30 seconds) then add the kale, water and salt.
- Stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted and the water has evaporated (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Pre-heat panini maker to high. (If you don’t have a panini maker, a regular skillet pan will do! In fact, you can create your own make-shift panini maker by taking a regular skillet pan and your heaviest pot or pan. Use the heavy piece to push the sandwich down and crisp it up, just as a panini maker would do).
- Coat one side of each slice of bread with cooking spray.
- With sprayed side down, spread the kale mixture on 4 slices of bread (about ½ cup per sandwich). Top each with ¼ cup cheese and 2 slices tomato.
- Top with the remaining bread, sprayed side up. Press in the panini maker until crispy.
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 serving: 407 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 8 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 8 g fiber; 537 mg sodium; 942 mg potassium