The heat is on here in Arizona! Even though temperatures are rapidly approaching the triple digits, we aren’t referring to the weather. We’re talking about firing up your grill for some delicious and healthy BBQ.
BBQ is the universal go to during the summer time. The nights are long, vacations are at their peaks, and get-togethers with friends and family are a must. Many people automatically assume that barbecuing means that you will be eating a lot of calories, but we are here to tell you there is a way to put a healthy twist on this summertime favorite.
There are endless healthy BBQ recipes out there for you to research, but today we are highlighting a lean and pescatarian friendly BBQ dish from Fitness Magazine. This rosemary shrimp skewers recipe is coupled with a delectable side of arugula-white bean salad. If you whip this recipe up at your next picnic or pool party, it will surely be a crowd favorite.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yields 4 to 6 servings
What You Need
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds extra-large shrimp, shelled and cleaned, tails on
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Pinch sugar
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and brained
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
How To Make It
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, the smashed garlic cloves, rosemary, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp to the combination and toss well. After tossing, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes
- Heat your grill to medium-high. Thread shrimp onto skewers (if they are wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling) and discard marinade. Lightly mist your grill with cooking spray. Grill shrimp until they are cooked through, about two minutes per side.
- Combine the minced garlic, sugar, and remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the arugula, beans and onion, toss to combine.
- Mound the salad on one side of a large platter and arrange the shrimp skewers alongside.
1 serving: 315 calories, 35 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 6 g fiber