The holiday season may be over and done with, but we still have a few more months of winter to go before we move on to the warmer weather filled with pool days and sunshine. For most people, the holiday seasons consists of a great deal of home cooked foods. But once New Year’s Day hits, everyone attempts to make the abrupt conversion to the salad and veggie diet.
Even though getting your veggies in and counting calories as a part of a New Year’s resolution is all done in good faith, most people still want to get their comfort food fix during the winter months.
In order to make the transition from comfort food to healthy food that much easier, try making a healthier version of some winter classics.
Arguably, one of the most famous comfort food choices is the meatloaf and mashed potatoes combo. Luckily for you, Real Simple Magazine found the perfect way to cut the calories out of this winter favorite! In a few easy steps and with a couple of healthy substitutes, you can have the healthy comfort food meal you’ve been craving!
What You Need
- 1 ½ lbs ground turkey
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- ½ medium onion, grated
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds new potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
How to Make it
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, egg, onion, and 2 tablespoons each of the milk and ketchup; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper
- On a rimmed baking sheet, form the mixture into a loaf and top with the remaining ¼ cup ketchup. Bake until cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Add the butter, the remaining ½ cup of milk, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mash to the desired consistency.
- Bring a second large saucepan of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Serve with the meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
Recipe yields 4 servings
Per serving: 562 calories, 25 g fat, 11 g Sat Fat, 184 mg cholesterol, 973 mg Sodium, 43 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 mg Iron, 117 mg Calcium