The days are getting hotter and for Arizona, summer is officially here. For many people, that means it is time for hanging out by the pool and using the BBQ instead of heating up the entire house by using the kitchen. Using the BBQ grill is a great way to cook up healthy and tasty meals. Here is a delicious and easy to make dish for June from our friends at Health.com. Simply add a side of grilled squash and zucchini for extra vitamins and goodness!*
- 5 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon barbecue smoke seasoning (such as Hickory Liquid Smoke)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- To make rub, place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and combine with your fingers, breaking up lumps in sugar. (You’ll need 1 1/2-2 tablespoons rub for this recipe. The excess can be stored in a sealed jar for several weeks.)
- Sprinkle rub over chicken on both sides, rubbing into the meat with your fingers. Arrange chicken in a baking dish. Cover with foil, and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- To make basting mixture, combine oil and smoke seasoning in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Spread the coals in an even layer to make a single-zone fire. (On a gas grill, you’d simply light the appropriate burner.) Preheat to high. Clean and oil grate.
- Arrange chicken diagonal to bars of grate, and grill 4-6 minutes total per side or until browned and thoroughly heated; begin basting chicken after first 2 minutes of cooking, and baste several times. (If you’re feeling ambitious, rotate each breast a quarter-turn after the first 2 minutes to create hatch marks.) Insert an instant-read meat thermometer into thick end of breast through the side–the temperature should be about 160°.
- Transfer chicken to a platter or plates; serve with barbecue sauce.
This recipe yields 4 servings, 1 serving per chicken breast, and rounds out at 303 calories per serving.
*To grill zucchini and squash, slice the veggies into 1″ rounds and toss in a mixture of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Grill for a couple of minutes on each side and serve with the chicken.